The bold styling of the tractor provides an attractive and functional appearance similar to that of the larger agricultural tractors. Benefits of this styling include:
- Easy tractor family identification
- Updated fixed grill and side panel hood design allowing for optimum sealing of the cooling compartment
- Integrated maintenance position on front grill for easy battery access
- Wraparound-style halogen headlights
- Premium integrated automotive style headlight bezels
- Bold graphics allowing for easy tractor family identification
- Aggressively sloped hood design giving a softer, smoother look, and providing improved visibility
- Hybrid exhaust in base for clear operator visibility and safety
The result gives the tractor a distinctive appearance and feel.
NOTE: If tractor is equipped with optional field-installed vertical exhaust, exhaust pipe must be removed before opening and closing the hood of the tractor.
The Yanmar 3-cylinder, TNV series diesel engine features a high torque reserve that provides plenty of power under heavy loads.
This engine features lower levels of exhaust emissions and reduced noise levels. The engine meets all current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emission requirements for Final Tier 4 emission standards.
The 1.642-L displacement, naturally aspirated, 3TNV88C Yanmar diesel engine provides 31.8 hp to the 3033R Tractor.
Gross engine hp*
Gross engine ps*
*Engine hp (kW), gross SAE J1995: 32.2 (23.7) at 2600 rpm, PS
Displacement, in3 (L):100.2 (1.642)
The 1.496-L, turbocharged, 3TNV86CT CR Yanmar diesel engine provides 38.2 hp to the 3039R Tractor.
Gross engine hp*
Gross engine ps*
*Engine hp (kW), gross SAE J1995: 38.7 (28.5) at 2600 rpm, PS
Displacement, in3 (L): 95.7 (1.568)
The 1.496-L, turbocharged, intercooled 3TNV86CHT CR Yanmar diesel engine provides 44.7 hp to the 3046R Tractor.
Gross engine hp*
Gross engine ps*
*Engine hp (kW), gross SAE J1995: 45.3 (33.34) at 2600 rpm, PS
Displacement, in3 (L): 91.3 (1.496)
The engine uses latest technologies to optimize fuel economy, improve control and accuracy, and reduces environmental impact.
The common rail system (CRS) optimizes fuel economy and reduces operating costs*. High pressure injection atomizes fuel into finer particles which burn more completely. It results in improved fuel economy and lower cost of operation.
The electronic control unit (ECU) provides optimum fuel control and accuracy. ECU monitors and controls the engine. It continuously monitors engine conditions and adjusts the fuel delivery accordingly to ensure optimum performance and emissions.
The new engine comes with an after treatment system. The system operates automatically. The exhaust filter consists of a diesel particulate filter (DPF) which captures particulate matter (PM) contained in the exhaust gas. Using a natural cleaning process, most of the PM trapped in the exhaust filter is eliminated by the heat of the exhaust stream generated by normal use. In situations of low temperature, engine speed or load factor, an active cleaning cycle is initiated. In this cleaning cycle, the exhaust gas temperature is raised by injecting additional fuel during the exhaust stroke of normal vehicle operation to the diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC).
After many hours of use, the exhaust filter may require an ash removal service.
NOTE: *As compared to engines not using CRS technology.
Depending on the load that the tractor is under, as well as ambient temperature, humidity, and engine speed, the DPF may build up with particulate matter, thus requiring cleaning. Filter cleaning is determined by one of three conditions:
- A prescribed time-based estimation of needed filter cleaning
- DOC/DPF pressure sensors
- A particulate matter buildup estimation based on load conditions
Once one of the three conditions has been met, filter cleaning will occur.
There are three different types of filter cleaning processes:
- Passive filter cleaning
- Active filter cleaning
- Parked filter cleaning
Passive filter cleaning
Passive filter cleaning occurs naturally when the engine is generating enough heat to oxidize particulate matter. This automatic process occurs continuously during normal operating conditions. No tractor icons or symbols appear on the display during passive filter cleaning.
NOTE: Passive filter cleaning requires no operator involvement, and there is no interruption to tractor operation.
Active filter cleaning
If conditions (temperature, load, or speed) for passive filter cleaning cannot be achieved, then PM is removed using active filter cleaner.
To achieve the required conditions, exhaust temperature management (ETM) manages the initiation and duration of active filter cleaning. ETM can adjust numerous engine parameters and/or inject a small quantity of fuel into the exhaust stream for a short duration. The fuel turns to vapor and chemically reacts with the catalysts in the DOC to create heat to oxidize PM.
It is important to note that at no time is the fuel in the DOC/DPF ignited, and there is no flame within the DOC/DPF.
Like passive filter cleaning, active filter cleaning requires no operator involvement, and there is no interruption to tractor operation.
Parked filter cleaning
In some instances where passive and active filter cleaning have not fully cleaned the PM from the system, a parked filter cleaning may need to take place. Most likely, the only time a parked filter cleaning will need to occur is when automatic filter cleaning has been disabled for an extended period of time and multiple warnings to engage filter cleaning were ignored or if the tractor has been used during light load conditions. Additionally, when the automatic filter cleaning process has been deliberately interrupted multiple times, or if active filter cleaning has failed numerous times due to a failed component, a parked filter cleaning may be requested. In these rare instances the operator will have to park the tractor and start the filter cleaning process.
The parked filter cleaning process needs to be activated based on usage and operation of the tractor. The process will take approximately 30 minutes. See operatorâ€™s manual for more details.
This system constantly monitors the soot level of the tractor, making sure the tractor is always in peak performance condition. This ensures high performance at all times.
NOTE: Number of hours since last regeneration and soot level percentage viewable on LCD display.
NOTE: When the tractor is in a filter cleaning process at low speed or while parked and running, the exhaust will be routed through the vertical exhaust outlet. In all other cases, the exhaust will be routed through the downward exhaust outlet. This ensures minimal heat impact to operator.
Key features of the engine are:
- Economical cast-in-block cylinder design for good cooling and long life
- Direct fuel injection
- Improves starting
- Injects fuel directly on top of pistons for more efficient combustion
- Develops more horsepower per gallon of fuel than indirect injection engines
- Aluminum alloy pistons with built-in steel struts are lightweight to reduce connecting rod-bearing loads and provide good heat transfer characteristics
- Design permits tighter tolerances and neutralizes expansion of the piston, which reduces blow-by and noise from piston slap
- Top rings are higher on the piston and a thinner head gasket is used to greatly reduce the volume of unburned waste gases and increase combustion efficiency
- Timing gears and injector drive gears have a helical profile to reduce engine noise
- Auto-bleed fuel system
- There is no need to prime the system if the tractor runs out of fuel
- The system will self-prime the injection pump, lines and injectors, providing fast fuel recovery for easier starting
- Key start and shutoff eliminates fuel shutoff knob
- Electric solenoid shuts fuel supply off immediately when key is turned off
- Fuel filter with replaceable element
- Water separator
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits operator to check coolant level without removing radiator cap
- Sealed radiator compartment keeps trash and debris on outside of hood
- Dry-type air cleaner with safety element and electronic air service indicator
- Electronic air restriction indicator alerts operator when air filter servicing is required
- Dual element design for added engine protection
- Easy to service
- Hybrid exhaust
- Discharges fumes away from the operator and reduces noise from engine
- Improves operator visibility
- Optional vertical exhaust kit is available
- In normal operations, the exhaust goes through the downward exhaust outlet
- In park regeneration process, the exhaust will go through the upward exhaust outlet
Yanmar is a trademark of Yanmar Company Limited.
The 3R Series Tractor is available with an exclusive three-range electronic hydrostatic (eHydro) transmission.
- Fluid under pressure transmits engine power to the drive wheels through a pump and motor
- Provides high torque for start-up
- Reduces powertrain shock loads
Sauer-Danfoss supplies both the pump and motor. This ensures that the components are matched to each other, providing maximum efficiency.
The electronic hydrostatic transmission is ideally suited for jobs where productivity is a must, such as loader or mower applications.
Twin TouchTM foot controls allow selecting both direction of travel and speed with a touch of the toe.
Key features of the eHydro transmission are:
- Infinite ground speeds, even at full throttle, allow the operator to match the speed of the tractor to the job
- No clutching for fast and easy direction changes
- Twin Touch foot pedals for quick and easy forward/reverse operation
- Cruise control is base equipment
- Cruise-control switch is located on the right-hand console for easy access
- Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged and allows for more precise setting of speed
Sauer-Danfoss eHydro transmission is used for reliable operation. Durability features include:
1) Large forged trunnion shaft with larger support bearings to reduce vibration and noise.
2) Center section made from durable cast aluminum, which is 10 percent stronger.
3) Transmission oil cooler cools transmission oil for longer transmission life.
Safety features of the eHydro transmission include:
- The tractor will start with one or both foot pedals depressed, but it will not move until both pedals first come to neutral
- The tractor will come to a stop if the operator leaves the seat but the engine will not shut off unless the power take-off (PTO) is also running
Key John Deere advantage
John Deere's Twin Touch foot controls offer several key advantages over competitive hydrostatic transmission (HST) tractor models.
Key advantages over competitive HST tractor models:
- Some competitive hydrostatic tractors use a treadle pedal (toe-heel) design foot control for operation
- Requires the operator to use both toe and heel to change direction, resulting in increased operator fatigue.
Integrated eHydro features
The eHydro convenience controls have been integrated into a single module. Combining features such as SpeedMatchTM LoadMatchTM, MotionMatchTM eThrottleTM and automotive style cruise control pulls the maximum efficiency out of the eHydro transmission tractors. All of these features are standard on the 3R models, and deliver an easier and more comfortable user experience.
The 3R Series Tractors come equipped with the eThrottle function. This feature is designed make the tractor quieter and use less fuel. With the simple push of a button, the engine speed will be linked to the pedal position. The operator can keep the throttle essentially all the way in the low position. The engine rpms, as well as the tractor speed, will increase together with the pedal position. This provides the operator with comfort and convenience as well as fuel economy.
Automotive-style cruise control
An automotive-style cruise control is standard equipment on the 3R Series Tractors. Cruise control is electronically engaged and disengaged and is located on the right-hand operator console.
- Maintains desired forward speed without pressure on the foot pedal
- When activated, operator is able to set cruise speed
- Use the SET/- button to set cruise speed, or to decrease cruise/max speed
- Use the RES/+ button to set cruise speed, or to increase cruise/max speed
- A speed sensor also allows the tractor to maintain preset speed driving up and down hills
- To disengage the cruise control, either:
- Apply pressure to the brakes
- Disengage cruise control button
- Briefly depress the reverse travel pedal
LoadMatch power management system
LoadMatch is an industry exclusive and a standard feature on the 3R Series Tractors.
If torque requirements increase significantly, the transmission will reduce the tractor's drive speed to compensate for the increased load on the transmission, maximizing torque to drive wheels and minimize stalls.
Controls automatically adjust LoadMatch compensation depending on the tractors application. PTO applications require less engine speed fluctuation, therefore adjusts the amount of droop depending on PTO speed. This adjustment increases efficiency and optimizes engine speed and torque output based on tractor application.
While typically left on, LoadMatch can be turned off with the right-hand console controls.
The MotionMatch, standard on the 3R Series Tractors, is located on the right-hand console. It offers seven settings for adjusting the rollout or decelerate when the pedal is released.
Longer accelerate and decelerate distances.
Shorter accelerate and decelerate distances.
SpeedMatch, standard on the 3R Series Tractors, further enhances the eHydro cruise control functions by allowing the operator to preset maximum speed. Once this feature is engaged, the operator must stroke the travel pedal fully to meet the operator preset speed. This function will improve accuracy and safety, particularly at lower travel speed applications.
Rotary tilling or spraying applications are examples of where SpeedMatch can be applied. SpeedMatch will work in both the forward and reverse set speeds.
NOTE: Automotive-style cruise control and SpeedMatch can be used in conjunction with LoadMatch to maximize productivity.
Sauer-Danfoss is a registered trademark of Sauer-Danfoss, Inc.
The PowrReverser transmission, available on 3033R and 3039R Tractors, offers a hydraulically-shifted forward-to-reverse transmission. This allows for clutchless shuttle shifting between forward and reverse with one lever for quick and easy direction change.
- The PowrReverser transmission does not require the operator to use the clutch to shift between forward and reverse
The 12x12 PowrReverser transmission's hydraulically-actuated wet clutch takes the place of the dry-type traction clutch. Two multi-disk clutch packs (one forward and one reverse) are hydraulically actuated when the directional (reverser) lever is placed in either the forward or reverse position.
Each clutch pack consists of three large, 13-cm (5-in.) diameter clutch disks that are oil-cooled, allowing excellent heat dissipation and extended clutch life.
- Clutch A is used for the forward operation of the tractor
- Clutch B is used for the reverse operation of the tractor
Key features of the PowrReverser are:
- 12 forward and 12 reverse speeds
- Reverser lever, located on the left side on the instrument console, allows operator to make direction changes without clutching
- Fast shuttle shift for improved loader operation
- Dual-cone synchronizers allow for synchronized shifts between gears for on-the-go shifting with use of the clutch
- Helical-cut gears for quiet operation
- Well-spaced speeds for turf, loader, and transport work
- Neutral-start switch prevents tractor from starting when transmission (main range) is not in neutral
- Dual wet-disk clutches provide long clutch life
- Shifts between ranges are not synchronized
NOTE: 3R Tractors with PowrReverser ARE NOT compatible with mid PTO. They are not compatible from the factory or field installed.
The operator's station is designed for easy entry to/exit from the tractor.
Conveniently placed pedals, as well as repositioned operator controls, provide for a clean and flat platform design, giving the operator plenty of legroom.
- Hood and fenders are made from composite polymer material designed to eliminate the possibility of rusting and resistance to dents, that can occur with metal hoods and fenders. This material provides a high-luster appearance with excellent resilience and resistance to fading from sunlight.
- Easy-fold rollover protective structure (ROPS), with built-in, rattle-reducing isolator.
Key features of the operator's station include:
- Large grab handles on each fender make getting on and off of the tractor easy
- Tilt steering wheel design in base equipment. The tilt wheel:
- Allows the operator to adjust the steering wheel to the most comfortable position
- Provides additional clearance for the operator to enter and exit the tractor
- Provides easy return to the fully raised position
- Provides plenty of room for comfortable operation
- Updated M-B-R power take-off (PTO) selector lever is standard equipment and allows independent control of the mid and rear PTO
- Controls are shape and color coded for easier identification and operation
- Easy-fold ROPS include a built in isolator for rattle free operation
- A left-side step is in base equipment to enhance access to the operatorâ€™s station
- Foot platform is rubber mounted and incorporates a runner mat for operator comfort
- PowrReverserTM models have both hand and foot throttle controls
- Throttle controls are especially handy when using a loader
John Deere ComfortGard cab tractors are some of the most comfortable, quiet, and easy-to-use cab tractors available anywhere. This premium solution was developed using extensive customer research and validation tools, and some of the most advanced design techniques available.
The following ComfortGard cab tractor models are available:
- 3033R Tractor with hydrostatic transmission (HST)
- 3039R Tractor with HST
- 3046R Tractor with HST
Cab tractors are designed for those operators who demand superior performance.
- Large-property owners
- Commercial operators
- Governmental agencies
Whether doing loader work, front implement work (such as snow removal), mowing, tilling, rotary cutting, or light hay work, the cab tractors have the versatility and muscle to get the job done, all while protecting the operator from the elements.
- Designed by John Deere and built at the John Deere factory in Ramos, Mexico
- Certified to the highest safety standards in the industry
- Fingertip controls and an automotive-like fit and finish
Operators are sure to appreciate what this cab has to offer â€” beginning with an isolated cab. These cabs are designed with robust mounting points integrated into the rollover protective structure (ROPS) with a unique offset mounting design that provides an ultra-quiet ride.
The 4-post ROPS design, carefully laid-out interior, and fuel tank located under the left rear side of the operator's platform provide a full 360 degrees of visibility.
- Operators enjoy a commanding view no matter what task is being performed.
- The raised header bar design allows operators â€” whether short or tall â€” to see the loader bucket or pallet forks through virtually the full range of operation.
- Operator fatigue caused by awkward bending is reduced, leading to increased overall productivity.
- The slow-moving vehicle (SMV) sign can be easily removed and stored in the operator's manual holder to provide a clear and unobstructed view for attaching to implements and doing field work.
- The ample headroom and curved glass on all four sides provide a spacious interior and give operators the feel of a big-tractor cab.
Operators are well-protected from the elements with a high-performance climate-control system providing heating and air conditioning.
- The climate-controlled cab makes any task more enjoyable whether on a frigid winter day or a hot summer day.
- The cab is completely sealed and pressurized to further protect the operator from the elements.
- A standard high-efficiency clean-air filter keeps even the smallest dust and allergen particles out.
Cab comfort features
Several features are integrated into the design of the cab that deliver superior operator comfort and visibility. These features include:
- Ultra-quiet interior
- Four-post ROPS with curved glass for 360-degree visibility and spacious interior
- Improved climate-control system for maximum operator comfort
- Raised header bar for maximum loader visibility
- Right-hand control center with the most frequently used controls at the operator's fingertips
- Left-hand automotive-style park brake
- Dash-mounted 4WD engagement, no awkward bending
- Tilt steering
- Improved shift range linkage for ease in operation
- Flat unobstructed foot platform
- In base equipment, deluxe cloth seat with a retractable seat belt and armrests for excellent back support
- Standard armrests for additional operator comfort
- Factory-installed deluxe air-ride seat with an adjustable backrest and adjustable armrests, available on the 3046R
- Inside rearview mirror for rear visibility
- Optional dual exterior rearview mirrors for added rear visibility
- Ergonomically placed integrated loader joystick control for maximum comfort during operation
- Interior dome light with on, door, and off positions for illumination in low-light conditions
- Optional factory or field-installed stereo with Jensen receiver, weather band, powered USB port, and iPod compatibility
- SWJHD1630 stereo with AM/FM, weatherband, SIRIUS Satellite, and iPod ready can be ordered separately through Parts
- Standard sun visor to block unwanted sunlight
- Creature comforts like:
- Dual cup holders
- 12-V power supply
- Cell phone storage
- CD storage
- Hitch pin storage
- Miscellaneous storage
- Operator's manual holder
- Integrated handle providing support for ingress and egress
- Left-side step for convenient ingress and egress
Cab operating features
- Pre-wired for optional accessories like a radio, horn, rear work lights, electric hydraulic diverter, rear wiper/washer, beacon light, and cigarette lighter
- Integrated warning lights/turn signals and taillights, protected from trees and branches
- Integrated roof-mounted antenna, protected from potential damage from trees and branches
- Dual roof-mounted forward work lights for optimum forward visibility at night
- Standard two-speed front windshield wiper to keep the front glass clear
- Optional rear wiper/washer to keep the rear glass clear
- Optional front fenders to protect the front cab glass from mud and debris
- Optional rear fender extensions to help protect doors from mud and debris
- High-impact polymer fenders, dent resistant and painted to an automotive-like finish
- Rear glass that swings out 70 degrees for ventilation or access to the optional iMatchTM hitch
- Easy access to route and mount a controller or monitor through the rear window removable plug and mounting bosses on the side post
- Large, 48.5-L (12.8-gal.) fuel tank for longer operation without re-fuelling
- Left rear fender fuel fill with large opening for easy re-fuelling
- Fuel tank located under the left side of the operator's station for maximum rear visibility
Cab safety features
- ROPS â€” Certified to the highest industry standards for maximum operator protection
- Operator presence system
- Engine shuts down if the operator leaves the seat when the transmission, mid, or rear PTO is engaged
- Tractor must be in neutral and the park brake fully set for stationary PTO work
- Right-side emergency exit
- Tempered safety glass in case of breakage
- Roof-mounted warning lights/turn signals for road transport â€” two front and two rear
- Two fender-mounted taillights
- Easily remove the slow-moving vehicle sign and store it in the operator's manual holder
Deluxe cloth seat
A deluxe cloth seat with retractable seat belt is in base equipment.
- An ergonomically sculpted seat cushion, an adjustable scissor-link suspension, and seat armrests are combined to provide excellent operator comfort and support.
- The scissor-link suspension can be adjusted for the operator's height and weight.
- The operator weight adjustment adjusts to the operator's weight (52 kg to 125 kg [115 lb to 275 lb]).
- Using a lever located under the seat, the seat is adjustable fore and aft for operator height.
- Retractable seat belts prevent belts from becoming tangled in the seat suspension and controls.
- Optional air-suspension seat is available.
Optional air-suspension seat
Two air-ride seat options are possible in 3R cab models. Both utilize the same suspension, which is designed to provide an air cushion for vertical-seat travel. This provides maximum operator comfort in any terrain. The two options are:
1. The optional factory-installed air-ride seat with a deluxe cloth two-piece seat with adjustable backrest and integrated armrests (for the 3046R only).
- Push the button at the base of the seat to pump up the seat. Pull the button to deflate the seat.
- The seat slides fore/aft with a lever on the right-hand side of the seat.
- The seat back reclines with a lever in the lower left corner of seat cushion.
- Upper backrest extension available as a field installed option.
2. The optional field-installed air suspension kit that requires the existing standard seat to be re-used when installed.
NOTE: The deluxe two-piece seat top can be ordered through Parts for customers who desire it.
Key benefits include:
- Maximum ride comfort and quality, thus minimizing operator fatigue
- Dampens lower frequency vibration better than mechanical suspensions
- Operator weight capacity of 330 lb
- Enhanced appearance with the close-out boot
The base lighting package for cab tractors includes:
- Two wide-angle halogen headlights
- Two roof-mounted, adjustable halogen forward work lights, illuminating the work area in nighttime or low-light conditions
- Two front and two rear amber turn signals/warning lights integrated into the cab roof
- Two taillights integrated into the fenders
- Three-position (on/off/auto) interior dome light
Optional lighting includes:
- Dual roof-mounted adjustable rear work lights
- Rotating beacon light
Jensen is a U.S.-registered trademark of ASA Electronics Corporation. iPod is a U.S.-registered trademark of Apple Incorporated. SIRIUS is a U.S.-registered trademark of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc.
Safety is designed into all 3R Series Tractors.
- Operator presence system ensures the operator is in the seat to operate the tractor
- Roll-over protective structure (ROPS) is designed for operation safety
- Reflective ROPS strips for better tractor visibility
- Key switch interlock prevents bypass starting
- Visual power take-off (PTO) warning light alerts operator when either mid or rear PTO is running
- Reverse implement option (RIO) for safe mid-PTO operation
- Placing the transmission in neutral and setting the park brake allows operator to run rear PTO safely when off the tractor seat
- Turn signal and flashing warning lights operate according to ASAE S279.10 standard
- Taillights for road transport
- Slow moving vehicle (SMV) sign for road transport
One of the greatest operator concerns involves difficulty in attaching tractor implements. John Deere has addressed this issue with the iMatch Quick-Hitch.
The iMatch Quick-Hitch provides easy hookup and a guaranteed fit for all Category 1 implements that are designed to meet the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) Category 1 Standard S278.6 for quick-attach hitches.
- All implements require a set of bushings in order for the attachment to fit and work properly with the iMatch Quick-Hitch. One set of bushings comes with the iMatch Quick-Hitch.
NOTE: The bushing set can be seen in the picture above. These bushings allow the hooks on the iMatch and the pins on the implement to fit together properly. All other implements (box blades, tillers, rear blades, etc.) will require a set of bushings to enlarge the pin to fit with the iMatch hooks. Bushings of different lengths can be found in the parts system or through a bushing supplier (see dimensions below).
- Upper bushing
- Inside diameter: 1.93-1.95 cm (0.76-0.77 in.)
- Outside diameter: 3.15-3.18 cm (1.24-1.25 in.)
- Lower bushings
- Inside diameter: 2.24-2.26 cm (0.88 to 0.89 in.)
- Outside diameter: 3.63-3.66 cm (1.43 to 1.44 in.)
Regular service and maintenance are essential to the performance, productivity, and longevity of the tractor.
- Easy access to most regular service points minimizes service time.
- Tractors are equipped with extensive onboard self-diagnostic capabilities and are fully compatible with the John Deere-exclusive Service ADVISORTM system.
- Daily service requirements are minimal and simple to accomplish. Most service interval requirements can be performed with a basic understanding of procedures and common tools.
All items in the daily service schedule can be performed without the use of tools:
- Engine oil, hydraulic oil, coolant level, and the water separator can be conveniently accessed.
- The engine can be easily accessed by simply raising the hood for more periodic maintenance checks
- A single-point latch mechanism and self-contained leash ensure easy hood opening and closure.
NOTE: Always refer to the operatorâ€™s manual for complete maintenance and service recommendations.